Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Oh My.. Coconut Cream Pie ~


Coconut!
 
This is definitely coconut's time of year. So many recipes call for it, and when do you bake the most?  You've got it... Holiday's. This Thanksgiving I cooked my 3rd Thanksgiving meal for my family, but this was the 1st time I would cook for my parents. No pressure right.. WRONG.. not only was it Thanksgiving but also my Mama's birthday.  Of course I had the normal fixin's... Turkey, Ham, Sweet Potato Casserole, Green Bean Casserole, Rolls, Mashed Potato's & Gravy, Stuffing, and Pumpkin Pie. Out of all of this listed my mom will only eat 2 of them. So I asked her what kind of birthday pie she wanted...her answer.. Coconut Cream Pie.

My first thought was how easy.. grab a graham cracker crust, some coconut cream pudding mix, whisk, chill and perfecto.. Coconut Cream Pie! But wait.. that's not actually a pie right.. it's pudding in a pie shell. So I hunted around online and read a few recipes. None of them sounded perfect to me, and not to mention my boys and hubby don't like coconut. So I needed to come up with something everyone would love, especially mom.

I wish I could say that I baked a bunch of pies prior to Thanksgiving to come up with the perfect pie. Nope... I wrote down my version of the pie, gathered my ingredients, and last minute sent Mr. B off to the store Thanksgiving day because of course I forgot Coconut Milk. Coffee cup in hand, watching the Macy Day Parade I started on mom's coconut cream pie.


Well folks, it was a huge success. My non coconut eating family loved it and most of all so did my mom. She even asked for my recipe, I think that's a first!  Below is my version of the Perfect Coconut Cream Pie~! I hope your family enjoys this... from my table to yours.



Tiff's Homemade Coconut Cream Pie Recipe:
Ingredients
  • 2 Cups Half-and-Half
  • 1 Cup Coconut Milk
  • 1/4 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract ( not imitation makes a flavor difference)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Small bag of coconut ( save 1/2 bag to toast for topping)
  • Graham Cracker Pie Crust ( or make your own)

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan combine the following ingredients: half & half, eggs, sugar, & salt. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Once sugar is dissolved add in the condensed milk & coconut milk. Bring to a slow boil stirring constantly. Once boiling is achieved remove from heat. 
  2. Stir in 1/2 of small bag of coconut & vanilla extract. Pour into pie crust, and chill for 2-4 hours or until set.
  3. When ready to serve, top with toasted coconut ( remainder of bag). To toast- cover a cookie sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper. Bake coconut on 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes until golden brown.